Thursday, May 22, 2008

A celebrity sighting at the Newseum

Today we toured the Newseum, the museum of news at its brand new location. After seeing a 4-D movie with a few sprays of water and lots of "oh’s and ah's" about how news has changed in America, a few of my new Chips Quinn friends and I headed for the glass elevators. We were enjoying the view of the museum's atrium on the ride up when I noticed that Mike Rowe from The Discovery Channel’s "Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe" was standing next to me with his beautiful spouse. My heart skipped a beat as I stared at the host known for his wit and wisdom as he discovers and works at America's dirtiest jobs. I whispered my sighting to fellow Scholars Brenda Vallejo and Rick Rojas, but none of us were sure it was really Rowe.

We were in the biggest elevator I've seen, surrounded by at least 20 eighth-graders in matching T-shirts. I've read enough books to know that the quickest way to anger celebrities is to draw attention to them in a crowded place. In true journalistic spirit, I quietly said, "Excuse me, sir, are you Mr. Rowe?" He smiled and said, "Hi, nice to meet you." We saw him again later and our brave photographer Brenda asked for a photo. He was gracious, and his mom even took a picture with Brenda's camera so we could all get in the shot.

No comments: