Friday, May 16, 2008

Think globally, write locally

Mark Briggs listens to a Scholar's question. (Photo by Nate Rohnke)

The main point I remember from the multimedia presentations during orientation is that online news is really about the audience. I was looking forward to hearing Mark Briggs, assistant managing editor-interactive for The News Tribune in Tacoma, Wash., discuss online news and Web technologies. Since my introduction to Final Cut Pro and the process of shooting video for the Web, I've been hooked on how the Internet can connect journalists with a global audience. I have been fortunate to have Web and video-technology experience from working at my college newspaper. Briggs reiterated that this type of experience is becoming necessary for journalists to have in the print newsroom. Seeing the familiar logos of YouTube and Apple products reminded me how my generation is so multimedia focused and that my experience with multimedia gives me an advantage over strictly print journalists. I fully believe that the online newspapers can reach a global audience as well as having a local interest.


No comments: