Friday, May 16, 2008

Accuracy remains priority

Today I learned that I'm not in the wrong profession. There is hope yet for newspapers.
I was especially encouraged to learn from Val Hoeppner, manager of multimedia education at the Diversity Institute, that newspaper journalists are ahead of broadcast journalists. The Web landscape will continue to dominate and eventually eliminate television, Hoeppner predicts.
Mark Briggs of The News Tribune in Tacoma, Wash., told us that in this new age of journalism, news is more of a conversation between the journalist, the source, the expert and the public. To survive and thrive in this new landscape, we must adapt and be humble enough to enter that conversation.
Reflecting on this new age, where anyone on YouTube can be a videographer, anyone who can create a blog can be an author, and anyone who posts "facts" on Wikipedia can be a reporter, I think that the information of professional journalists stands out because we are held accountable for what we print and say. That is why it is imperative that as we forge new ground, we still make accuracy a priority.

No comments: