Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hoping for empowerment

The Chips Quinn Scholars program is not the first diversity enhancement program in which I've participated, and my experience with similarly poised programs makes me apprehensive about orientation this week. Churning my stomach about the other programs was their backwardness. Our race defined who we were, and tortured stories about overcoming hardship were expected. Behind the closed doors of our conference halls, guest speakers felt at liberty to talk about "The Man" and warn us that we would be the first people of color some Nebraskans had seen in person and we should not be surprised if a white girl or boy tried to stroke our brown skin or pet our curls.

I am resentful. But I don't want to be, because I strongly believe in the CQS program's mission to increase newsroom diversity. I have seen firsthand that different backgrounds bring different sensitivities to a paper, thus getting us journalists closer to the truth. I hope to leave CQS orientation empowered, not further embittered. And judging by the amazing people I've met at the introductory dinner, I think my hopes will be fulfilled.

No comments: