Wednesday, May 21, 2008

An on-point speaker

The presentation by Jamesetta Walker, assistant features editor of The Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk, Va., resonated with me. Besides her ebullience and enthusiasm, which she has an impossible amount of, Walker had the air of a woman who's never been off point in her life. I agree with her about the importance of being a concise writer. I have been trained as she preached – to hook readers in three paragraphs or risk losing them forever. I suppose this contradicts what I said in an earlier post, where I took a mighty stand against the tenets of the five W's. I never meant to betray being informative and efficient. There should just be more freedoms to write leads that are creative. Tell the reader what they need to know and why ASAP. Walker is right. But she knew that already.

(Photo by Nate Rohnke)

No comments: