Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Caught by her high heel

The speaker who influenced me most was John Quinn. Before I came to Washington, D.C, I was severely burned out. I completed four internships during my college years and had just finished two journalism finals before getting on the plane to Washington. The doom and gloom of the newspaper industry was heavy on my mind, and I had run into "swamp people" in the past whom I had allowed unknowingly to let me doubt this profession.

No more. When Mr. Quinn, co-founder of the CQS program, spoke of his son's dedication to diversity, his wife Loie's support and the fact that he believed in all of us, something welled up inside of me that I had been struggling to keep down. I had considered applying to grad school in a different subject, but I knew that I just couldn't quit journalism. I couldn't help but cry when Mr. Quinn said everyone in the program was here to "pull us over the wall." This program caught me by my high heel and brought me over to the other side.

No comments: